Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Our First Night in the City / Moving In

Once we got our keys, we hopped on the subway and headed over to Marc and Alisha's place. Lucky for me, John had the whole public transit thing figured out and actually knew where our destination was, otherwise I would probably still be lost since I haven't taken TO public transit since university. After he explained the system to me though, I think it seems like getting around is pretty straightforward, but I'm going to need some time to get a feel for where everything is.

When we arrived, our gracious hostess poured us drinks and ordered us Thai food and we spent the evening getting caught up. It was really nice, I hadn't seen Alisha in at least a year I think. That is one part I'm looking forward to about living here. Although we left lots of friends behind in Halifax, we have lots of other friends who have moved here over the years that we've lost touch with and now we have the opportunity to get reacquainted with everyone.

We stayed up late because we wouldn't be able to start the move until 2pm the next afternoon, but we still ended up waking bright and early. Our first thoughts were of the truck, so John went back to make sure no one had tampered with it in the night. I puttered around much slower, and Alisha and I made breakfast. She makes the best eggwiches! It felt really weird trying to kill the morning on a moving day. I'm so used to waking up early and getting straight to work on those days but really there was nothing to be done.

John's brother couldn't make it to help us move, so John spent the rest of the morning calling movers in the area but we couldn't find anyone on such short notice. We had the two of us, Alisha and our friend Brandon though, so we figured we'd be okay. When we got to the elevator to start loading it up, there was another woman and some U-haul movers already there. John managed to talk one of the movers to stay to help us after he was done that move, so that made things a bit easier.

It took the full two hours and by the end of it we were exhausted. I think all the exertion of the week was starting to catch up with us and the heat of the day compounded it. Alisha had to go to work and we went for supper with Brandon at a pub style restaurant called Duke of Kent. The food was pretty good, but after four straight days of restaurant food, I was craving home cooking so I think I didn't appreciate it as much as I would have normally. The sangria was good though! On the way home we stopped at a little grocery store and picked up breakfast foods so we would be ready for the morning.

When John and I came home to our apartment for the first time, we were both pretty wiped. We tilted the couch onto its right side, set up the bed, unpacked the plates, glasses and pans, hung up the shower curtain, looked at all the boxes strewn through the apartment and flopped out. Everything else could wait. We slept like stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment